Part-Time Lumber Yard Sales - Sumner McLendon Hardware
- McLendon - Sumner
- Sumner, WA, USA
- Part Time
Join a legendary team at McLendon Hardware. We pride ourselves on providing Legendary Customer Service to all of our customers. McLendon Hardware is "Where People Make the Difference." We seek out positive, energetic people who have the ability to build lifelong friendships and relationships with our customers. Our long-time Team Members are a testament to our commitment of employing folks who want to enjoy what they do, become an expert and join in teamwork to solve problems and provide our Legendary Customer Service to Every Customer, Every Time.
Lumber Yard Sales Position Description
The primary responsibility of a Lumber Yard Sales Team Member is to assist do-it-yourself and contractor customers by loading and unloading merchandise into, or from, customer vehicles, assisting with lumber selection and cutting materials to the customer's specifications. Lumber Yard Sales Team Members unload company vehicles and load and unload materials for storage in the yard. Lumber Yard Sales Team Members work both indoors and outdoors and may be exposed to inclement weather, including hot and cold temperatures. This position works under close supervision and must work closely with Customers, Store Management and Team Members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Customer Service – Provides McLendon Hardware's legendary customer service through courteous, efficient, and attentive service in a timely manner. Effectively shares product knowledge and provides direction, as necessary, to meet the needs of customers. Assists customers in pulling lumber. Writes loading tickets for customers to use when paying for merchandise as needed. Obtains and provides Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for customers, as needed.
- Equipment Operation – Operates saws, forklift, pipe threading machine and reach lift. Cut lumber, glass and pipe to customer specifications. Follows all safety procedures and use all safety equipment.
- Loading – Verifies loading ticket and customer authorization to pick-up merchandise. Uses receipt to confirm merchandise was paid for and the correct amount of merchandise to load. Loads and unloads merchandise into customer and company vehicles.
- Product Knowledge – General knowledge of lumber yard merchandise, including, but not limited to, location and pricing. Directs customers to Sales Team Members for further merchandise assistance.
- Stock - Stocks incoming freight neatly in appropriate locations and under cover as needed. Ensures all incoming yard stock is put away in a timely manner to ensure easy access, safety and loss control. Regularly communicates with Department Lead, Inventory Specialist, Cashiers and Managers regarding inventory concerns, stock outages, merchandise damage and loss and other departmental issues.
- Housekeeping – Keeps yard swept, organized, clean and hazard free.
- Loss Control – Uses shoplifting indicators and excellent customer service to deter and prevent shoplifting. Consistently checks loading ticket and receipt to confirm payment and correct amount of merchandise to load.
- Completes tasks on work list as assigned.
- Uses yard forklifts as needed.
- Fills customer propane tanks as required and applicable to location.
- Assists Receiving and Garden Departments with freight as needed.
- Distributes unloaded merchandise to correct department as needed.
- Answers department phones.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- One (1) year lumber yard, construction or hardware experience preferred.
- One (1) year customer service experience preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Must have the ability to obtain McLendon Hardware forklift certification.
- Must be able to accurately use tape measure and do measurement conversions.
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend and lift merchandise up to 100 lbs for the majority of the workday.
- Must have basic computer knowledge.
- Must have the ability to read and write English and have basic math skills, including measurement, conversions and determining quantity needed.
- Must be dependable. Due to the nature and responsibilities of this position, dependable regular attendance is required.